Stuffed animals are not only for kids! In fact, many adults find them to be comforting and therapeutic. If you're looking for a unique gift or simply want to make your own, a weighted stuffed animal is a great option. Here's how to make one.
What You'll Need:
-1/2 yard of fabric (fleece works well)
-1/4 yard of firm interfacing
-1 pound of dry rice, beans, or pellets
-Sewing supplies (needle, thread, scissors, etc.)
-Optional: ribbon, buttons, or other embellishments
Cut two pieces of fabric in the shape of your desired animal. If you're making a simple animal like a bear or rabbit, you can freehand the pattern. Otherwise, use a template or existing stuffed animal as a guide.
- Cut two pieces of interfacing that are slightly smaller than your fabric pieces. This will help give your stuffed animal shape and structure.
- Sew the interfacing to the wrong side of one piece of fabric. Then, place both fabric pieces right sides together and sew around the edge, leaving an opening for turning and stuffing.
- Turn your fabric right side out and stuff it with rice, beans, or pellets until it is as firm or soft as you desire. Hand stitch the opening closed.
- Embellish your stuffed animal with ribbon, buttons, or other adornments as desired.
- Enjoy your new weighted stuffed animal!
Weighted stuffed animals can be cute and cuddly gifts or simply comforting companions for yourself. They're easy to make with just a few supplies, and you can customize them however you like. Give it a try!